Thursday, November 6, 2008

Food 911

I really enjoyed the main dish that my friend Kathryn made for crockpot night. I thought of another friend, a lurker, whom I will only address as "food 9-1-1", when I received this recipe. Girlfriend, this might be a good one for you to try...

Cherried Pork Roast

Boneless pork roast (sirloin is best)
2 T. cooking oil
1 T. quick cooking tapioca
1 T. snipped fresh thyme or 1 t. dried thyme
1/2 t. pepper
1 medium onion, sliced
1 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup apple juice or apple cider
3 to 4 cups hot cooked rice or noodles

1. Trim fat from meat. (Sirloin will probably not have much, so don't bother.) In a large skillet, brown meat on all sides in hot oil.

2. Transfer meat to slow cooker. Sprinkle tapioca, dried thyme (if using), and pepper over meat. Add onion and dried cherries. Pour apple juice or cider over all.

3. Cover. Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours or on high for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours.

4. Serve meat and cooking juices with hot cooked rice or noodles.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Halt said...

you should explain why they will be referred to as food 9-1-1. I'm guessing they called with a food emergency.

Come to think of it, I've called Amy or my mom to say that I had a food emergency. Once, it was because my doggone bread would NOT rise (apparently my apartment is too cold for bread - it takes days, even if I stick it in the dryer). Another time it was because my pot roast did not seem to be getting done in a timely manner (my oven is cold too).