Friday, October 30, 2009

Burnt Offerings

I was lucky enough to be able to go out the other night for supper club. This month's theme was 5 ingredient recipes. I was in charge of the main dish. Let's just say that I had a crazy day of running kids and errands, etc. When I came back from picking up the babysitter my smoke alarms were ringing, and my entree was burned. I was really frustrated. However, I was able to salvage the vegies and chicken (the burnt sauce I am still scrubbing from the bottom of my pans!) and the night ended successfully, as usual.

Here's the recipe for Maple Roasted Chicken-Thighs with Sweet Potatoes from Good Housekeeping.com (and yes, this is one that I would make again for my family). I doubled the recipe and cooked it in 2 pans.

4 large skinless chicken thighs with bones
2 small (about 1 lb. total) sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 small onion cut into 1-inch pieces
8 oz. baby carrots or 8 oz. parsnips cut into 1-inch chunks
1/4 c. maple syrup

  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
  2. In 15.5 x 10.5 inch jelly roll pan or large shallow roasting pan, combine chicken, sweet potatoes, onion, carrots, maple syrup, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Toss to coat.
  3. Roast chicken mixture for 40-45 minutes or until juices run clear when thickest part of thigh is pierced with tip of knife and liquid in pan thickens slightly. Stir vegies once and turn chicken over halfway through roasting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been meaning to get up there to see you. Came up last weekend, but lots of family affairs...get a job list going for me, cause when I call you'll want to take advantage! Hope all is well! Love, Loraine

Becky said...

and it was delicious Jen!