Monday, January 12, 2009

Gertie's Granola

Kali came home with this recipe from school. They make their snack on Fridays. She was bugging me to make it, because it was sooooo good. I just happened to have all of the ingredients, and it was soooo good. So, I thought that I would share the recipe.

Gertie's Granola (G was her letter of the week!)
2 c. old-fashioned oats
1/4 c. wheat germ
2 T. dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. extra ingredients (i.e. chopped nuts, coconut, raisins, seeds, dried fruit, mini choc. chips)
1/4 c. maple syrup
3 T. veg. or canola oil
1 T. water
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 275 degrees. Coat a 9x13 metal pan with cooking spray. Mix the oats, wheat germ, brown sugar, salt, and extra ingredients (except for the dried fruit and choc. chips). Bring syrup, oil, cinnamon and water to a summer in a saucepan over low heat. Drizzle over oat mixture and stir to combine. Pour mixture into pan. Working a handful at a time, squeeze cereal to form small clumps. Bake for 30 min. Stir in dried fruit. Continue to bake another 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool. Add choc. chips if desired. May be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

6 comments:

ethiopifinn said...

this does sound good! i was wondering how long i'll have to wait til i bring "...water to a summer"?:)

Anonymous said...

hey Gertie,

BP here. I want you to know that I "copied" your recipe over to a spreadsheet. Now will you please get over here and make it? I haven't seen your friendly face since you got rid of the riff-raff in your town. Ha.

Come over.

Bette

Jen H. said...

Bette,
It is a big relief to be rid of the riff-raff from the Range! Now, I am just waiting for you to show up at my door someday!

Anonymous said...

RIFF-RAFF? Excuse me , I now have moved UP in the world. The Range was to rough for me. The new "hood" I now live in has better company. from, fiff-raff

Anonymous said...

oops I MEAN from- RIFF-RAFF

Anonymous said...

Yum! This sounds really good. (...as I'm chuckling at the comments.)